March 1, 2020 – June 27, 2020
Chalstrom’s Bait & Tackle
5067 Rice Lake Rd
Duluth, MN 55803
Custom Archery & Outdoors
1230 Poplar Ave
Superior, WI 54880
New for 2020
For Duluth Hunters with five or more years of Duluth hunting experience:
- You may submit any score on a 3D course which will meet the qualifications for the 2020 Proficiency testing. This will be limited to Arrowhead 3D and Duluth Archery Club courses ONLY. Please keep in mind that you will need to complete your 3D course before the June 30th deadline.
- Participates all year in a winter league at Chalstom’s or Custom Archery ending the season with a 250 or better average. This will only be for the previous winter season. This includes Custom Archery’s Brush League.
Each season, hunters are required to take and pass a proficiency shooting test to demonstrate competence with their hunting equipment. Hunters must score a minimum of 16 points on a standard 5-spot target. This equates to shooting 4 of 5 arrows into a 6.25 inch bullseye. Prospective hunters are allowed two attempts per year to pass, with a minimum of 24 hours between attempts. Shooting distance will be 20 yards.
Hunters are required to:
- Shoot the same bow they will use to hunt.
- Shoot five (5) different hunting arrows, i.e. no specialty target arrows (the size of broomsticks!).
- Provide a copy of their Bowhunters Safety Card or other proof of having passed a Bow Safety Course.
Hunters can take their test any time during the dates given above at either Chalstrom’s on Rice Lake Road, or at Custom Archery in Superior. Please call prior to heading out to ensure that someone will be around to administer your test.
All venues will charge a nominal fee.
If you are military or are undergoing surgery and need to test prior to the published testing dates, please contact us.